Unfortunately, cooking camembert in the microwave isn’t as simple as throwing it in like you would with the oven. Instead, there’s a proper method you’ll want to follow alongside a few tips you’ll need to stick to if you want to avoid a disaster.
To microwave camembert, you need to place it onto a microwavable plate before microwaving it in bursts of 1 minute for a total of 4 minutes, generally.
How to Microwave Camembert
When it comes to quick and easy meals that are as decadent as they are delicious you can’t beat baked camembert. To bake yours in the microwave follow this method:
- Unwrap and Place Onto a Plate
Unwrap your camembert cheese and place it on a suitable plate or stand. A microwaveable shallow bowl or plate should work fine.
- Cut Slits and Add Herbs
Cut a few slits in the top of the cheese. For flavour, you can pop some herbs into the slits. A little chilli works well to give it a spicy kick or choose more traditional flavours by putting some slices of fresh garlic and fresh rosemary sprigs in.
Pop this into the microwave and set the timer for a minute. After a minute check the cheese and put it back in. You will need to heat it for one minute at a time for about an average of three to four minutes for perfectly cooked cheese.
Pop the cheese onto your table and serve with your favourite bread.
How to Microwave Camembert Successfully
If you want complete success when melting camembert in the microwave then make sure you stick to these three tips:
- Grill to Crisp Exterior – If you want that baked feel after you have microwaved it you can pop it under the grill for a minute or two to crisp up the exterior of the cheese. It doesn’t change the flavour but can add a little colour for authenticity.
- Add Flavours – Camembert is the perfect type of cheese to add flavour to. It takes flavour on well and is strong enough to not be easily overpowered. Experiment a little and find which herbs and spices are your favourites when paired with camembert.
- Pay Close Attention – Camembert is easy to cook in the microwave so you do need to take care not to overdo it. It only takes a few seconds to turn beautifully melted cheese into a rubbery block! Use 30 to 60 second bursts so you can keep a close eye on it.
- Serve It On the Same Plate – You’ll need to use the plate you use in the microwave to serve it up. All that melted cheese is likely to stick the camembert to the plate. So make sure you use a decent looking plate as you’ll be using it to serve it up.
- Avoid Multiple Camemberts – If you’re lucky enough to have more than one camembert to cook, then avoid doing them simulatenously. Instead, opt for doing them 1-by-1. After all, it’ll take less than 5 minutes each.
Why You Should Microwave Camembert
There are some clear and obvious benefits to using the microwave to cook camembert:
The biggest advantage of microwaving your camembert is how quick it is. It would normally take twenty to thirty minutes to bake camembert in the oven. By microwaving, you can have your cheese deliciously melted in under five minutes!
Another advantage of cooking camembert in the microwave is the lack of mess.
There is no doubt about it, melted cheese can get messy. In the microwave you can avoid a lot of this because you cook it on the plate you plan to serve it up on and it shouldn’t go everywhere.
Why You Shouldn’t Microwave Camembert
As with all advantages, you do need to look at the other side of the coin. There are disadvantages to using a microwave:
The main disadvantage of microwaving camembert is that it doesn’t taste quite the same as baked camembert.
The major difference is in the texture because when you bake camembert you get that lovely toasted look on the outside.
Lack of Infused Flavour
Another disadvantage of using this method to cook camembert is that you may not get the full benefit of infusing any flavours because it isn’t being cooked for quite as long.
When you add herbs it can take a little time for those to infuse into the cheese. However, it shouldn’t make enough difference to make it not worthwhile cooking it in this way if you need your cheese in a hurry.
Microwaving Camembert FAQs
Our guide to microwaving camembert should give you most of the answers you need. But there are a few more specific questions we often come across which we’ve answered below for you:
No, microwaving camembert does not ruin it. Cheese connoisseurs will be able to tell the difference but it will be far from ruined. It’s simply a fast, convenient way to melt it.
Ultimately, you won’t want to freeze camembert in the first place! Soft cheeses do not freeze well so we wouldn’t recommend you try freezing then defrosting them! Camembert has a high water content which means it will lose its creamy texture once frozen.
Unfortunately, if you have already cooked camembert once we wouldn’t recommend that you try and reheat it. It will easily overcook which can turn it rubbery and hard.
Generally, it will take around 4 minutes to microwave camembert but this will depend on the size, weight and density of it. This is why it’s a good idea to microwave it in short bursts to avoid overcooking it.
No, there’s no need to wrap camembert as you’re only microwaving it in short bursts and only for around 4 minutes. As you’re not applying direct heat to it, there is no risk of it burning.